'The Migrant Summit: Welcoming the Stranger'
Friday 2nd october 2015
Is in response to the humanitarian crisis in Europe and the Middle East. The scale of the issue is overwhelming both politically and morally. However what is the most appropriate response and what can the public offer?
This event seeks to inform delegates about the national picture, what is happening in Derby at the moment and how the public can provide practical support.
Guest speakers will include Pauline Latham OBE MP, Derby City Council officers and portfolio holders, local voluntary groups who are working with refugees and asylum seekers in Derby.
Programme for the day:
10.30 a.m - coffee
11 - 11.45 a.m - Welcome and introduction by the Bishop of Derby
- The facts on the ground - Pop Gill, Officer for Community Cohesion, Derby City Council
- The national picture - Pauline Latham OBE MP
- The local picture - Cllr Asaf Afzal, Cabinet member for Cohesion & Integration, Derby City Council
11.45 - 12.30 - Open Space discussion session
12.30- 1.00 p.m - lunch
1- 2.00 p.m - What is happening in the voluntary sector?
- Panel discussion and Q&A with - Margaret Beckett MP, Pauline Latham OBE MP, Derby City Council representative and refugee charities
- Positive action: what can we do? - the Red Cross
2.00 p.m - Close by the Bishop of Derby
To register your place please click here>>